Saturday, 22 January 2011

Lovely listing

House front

Listed Buildings

Our house is a Grade II listed building. A listed building is one which has been placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. There are just under 500,000 buildings in the UK to which this applies.

According to English Heritage:

Listing helps us acknowledge and understand our shared history.  It marks and celebrates a building's special architectural and historic interest, and also brings it under the consideration of the planning system so that some thought will be taken about its future.

The older a building is, the more likely it is to be listed. All buildings built before 1700 which survive in anything like their original condition are listed, as are most of those built between 1700 and 1840.

Grade II buildings are nationally important and of special interest; 92% of all listed buildings are in this class and it is the most likely grade of listing for a home owner.

A listed building may not be altered without special permission from the local planning authority. This is called listed building consent and is in addition to the normal requirements for planning permission.

(cartoon by the very talented Merrily Harpur)

Our Listing

Our house was listed on 29 July 1983 when it was described as:

C17 house, remodelled in early C19. Coursed rubble, pantile roof. Three storeys; 2 windows, glazing bar sashes. Ground floor has modern bow windows. Heavy flat timber hood on brackets over modern door with plain painted stone surround. Gabled 2-storey wing and 2-storey extension at rear (originally separate cottage or workshop). Date plaque 1819 on front dates re-modelling. Interior has chamfered beams.


The listing is wrong about the date plaque, which is actually 1812, and the hood over the door is stone rather than timber. The listing also fails to mention a number of other historic features such as the inglenook fireplace, elm floorboards, oak doors, iron door furniture, shell-headed buffet and spice cupboard.


Application for listed building consent

Before making a formal application for listed building consent and planning permission, our architect has submitted a request for pre-application advice from the planning department at our local council. They will give us an informal assessment of their likely attitude to our proposed application, enabling us to tailor our plans accordingly. Hopefully, this will help to avoid disputes when our actual application is submitted and will enable things to proceed more smoothly and quickly.

Our architect submitted the request just before Christmas. We heard on 4 January that it has been received and registered and that we should hear back from them within 2 to 4 weeks.

Monday, 10 January 2011

House History 2: 1790-1873

For 83 years the house was in the possession of one family, the Shorts. They were cordwainers - the name for makers of shoes and boots who worked with good quality leather, as opposed to cobblers, who literally cobbled together old leather scraps.

2 August 1790

William Roach sold the house to Robert Short of Yate, cordwainer, for £112 10s. Mr Thomas Fereby was the tenant.

Robert Short and his wife, Ann, had two children, George and Jane, baptised at Wickwar in 1765 and 1768.

Thomas Fereby married Hannah Heaven, by licence, at Chipping Sodbury on 9 May 1774.


Robert Short's son, George Short, remodelled the cottage adjoining the house.

George Short plaque 1793

21 December 1801

Robert Short died intestate and the house passed to George Short, his only son. Like his father, George was a cordwainer.

George Short was baptised at Wickwar on 1 December 1765. He married Jane Rawbone in Yate on 12 May 1788. George and Jane had two children, Priscilla and George, baptised at Yate on 5 October 1788. Priscilla had been born before her parents' marriage and was baptised under her mother's name of Rawbone.  George and Jane Short had a further nine children baptised at Chipping Sodbury between 1792 and 1810.


George Short remodelled the front of the house, replacing the 17th century gable front with a fashionable Georgian style facade.


15 September 1815

George Short mortgaged the house, together with a property in Yate, for £260 to Thomas Watts, proprietor of the Royal Oak in Chipping Sodbury.

£180 of the money was used to pay off an earlier mortgage on the property in Yate, which George Short and his sister Jane had inherited from their father, George having used the money to buy out Jane's half share.

The other £80 was for George Short's own use. It may well have been used to pay for the building work on the house.

23 April 1818

George Short wrote a promissory note to his son-in-law, John Haynes, in return for a loan of £260 (presumably to pay off the 1815 mortgage).

1 July 1829

George Short signed an indenture granting the reversion of the property to John Haynes upon his own death. This was in settlement of £290 owed by George Short to John Haynes (the 1818 loan of £260 plus £30 accrued interest).

9 May 1833

George Short died, aged 67, and was buried in a large chest tomb, prominently situated at the entrance to the churchyard of St John the Baptist, Chipping Sodbury.

Under the terms of the 1829 indenture, the property passed into the ownership of John Haynes. John, who  was described as a gentleman, was married to George Short's eldest child, Priscilla.

6 June 1841

The census shows the occupants of the house as John and Priscilla Haynes. John was aged between 65 and 69, of independent means and not born in Gloucestershire.

Haynes John 1841 census

September 1844

John Haynes died and left the house to Priscilla in his will.

30 March 1851

The census shows the occupants of the house were Priscilla Haynes, a widow and house proprietor, aged 64 and born in Yate, and her niece, Elizabeth Short, daughter of Priscilla's brother, Shirley Short.

Haynes 1851

7 April 1861

The census shows Priscilla Haynes, a widowed house proprietor, aged 74 and born in Yate. She was living alone.

Priscilla Haynes 1861

16 August 1864

Priscilla Haynes died childless. Under the terms of her will, the house was to be sold and the proceeds used to pay legacies to her brothers and sisters and their families.

29 June 1866

Priscilla's brother, George Short, bought the property for £140 from her estate. For the first time, the "court or garden" was mentioned and the adjoining cottage was included in the sale. George Short was already tenant of both properties.

George Short was also a cordwainer. He and his wife, Ann, had five children born in Chipping Sodbury between 1829 and 1841.

8 November 1870

George Short died, aged 82. His effects were valued at under £200.

2 April 1871

The census shows that the house was occupied by George Short's son, Shirley Short, a bootmaker, aged 29 and born in Chipping Sodbury. The other members of the household were Shirley's wife, Ann, and sister, Victoria.

Shirley Short had married Ann Endicott in Bristol only a few weeks earlier.

Shirley Short 1871

24 October 1871

Shirley Short bought the property for £150 from his father's estate. Shirley was already the tenant of the house and cottage. He was using the cottage as a workshop for his boot and shoe making business.

5 January 1873

Shirley Short died childless, aged only 31. Under the terms of his will, the property passed to his wife, Ann. She sold it four months later.